Postdoctoral Fellow – Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health
Jaime Perales Puchalt is a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Department of Preventive Medicine at the University of Kansas Medical Center. He is currently involved in a recently awarded R01 clinical trial on the efficacy of a mobile smoking cessation intervention for Latino smokers. Dr. Perales has been involved in other studies on smoking cessation and Alzheimer’s disease awareness for the Latino community in Kansas City.
Dr. Perales is originally from València, Spain. He completed his MPH and PhD in Public Health at the University Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona. He started his research career at the Department of Personality, University of València, where he collaborated in several stress-related projects among breast cancer patients, Latin American immigrants and caregivers of schizophrenia patients. Dr. Perales was a co-investigator in a four-year European Commission-funded international study on healthy aging (COURAGE in Europe) at the Parc Sanitari Sant Joan de Déu. He also spent one year as a visiting researcher at the Institute of Public Health, University of Cambridge. The main focus of his PhD dissertation was active aging among older adults and quality of life among people with dementia.
Dr. Perales has been awarded with several grants and scholarships from Spanish Ministries and US American scientific societies. Dr. Perales also won a prize for the best first scientific publication in Public Health in 2013 from the Spanish Group of Young Epidemiologists.
Jaime is a keen surfer and rugby player. He loves traveling and trying food from different cultures and countries.
- J Perales, B Olaya, A Fernandez, J Alonso, G Vilagut, CG Forero, L San, JA Alda, JM Haro, “Association of childhood adversities with the first onset of mental disorders in Spain: results from the ESEMeD project”, Social psychiatry and psychiatric epidemiology 48 (3), 371-384 (2013)
- J Perales, TD Cosco, B Stephan, JM Haro, C Brayne, 2013, “Health-related quality-of-life instruments for Alzheimer’s disease and mixed dementia” International Psychogeriatrics, 1-16, (2013)
- TD Cosco, AM Prina, J Perales, B Stephan, C Brayne, “Operational definitions of successful aging: a systematic review”, International Psychogeriatrics, 1-9, (2013)
- TD Cosco, AM Prina, J Perales, BCM Stephan, C Brayne, “Lay perspectives of successful aging: a systematic review and meta-ethnography”, BMJ Open 3 (6), (2013)
- N Garin, B Olaya, J Perales, MV Moneta, M Miret, JL Ayuso-Mateos, JM Haro, “Multimorbidity Patterns in a National Representative Sample of the Spanish Adult Population”, PloS one 9 (1), e84794, (2013)
- A Raggi, R Quintas, E Russo, A Martinuzzi, D Costardi, GB Frisoni, MG Franco, A Andreotti, M Ojala, S Peña, J Perales, S Chatterji, M Miret, B Tobiasz-Adamczyk, S Koskinen, L Frattura, M Leonardi, “Mapping SAGE questionnaire to the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF)” Clinical psychology & psychotherapy, 21 (3), 199-203, (2013)
- FF Caballero, M Miret, B Olaya, J Perales, R Lopez-Ridaura, JM Haro, S Chatterji, JL Ayuso-Mateos, “Evaluation of Affect in Mexico and Spain: Psychometric Properties and Usefulness of an Abbreviated Version of the Day Reconstruction Method”, Journal of Happiness Studies, 1-21, (2013)
- S Martin, P Chinnock, J Perales, HY Lee, CY Lee, YT Wu, A Mavrodaris, “Self-management interventions for people living with HIV/AIDS (Protocol)”, Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 9. Art. No.: CD008731, (2014)
- TD Cosco, A Matthew Prina, J Perales, B Stephan, C Brayne , “Whose” successful aging”?: lay-and researcher-driven conceptualisations of aging well “, The European Journal of Psychiatry 28 (2), 124-130 (2014)
- J Perales, S Martin, JL Ayuso-Mateos, S Chatterji, N Garin, S Koskinen, M Leonardi, M Miret, MV Moneta, B Olaya, B Tobiasz-Adamczyk, JM Haro, “Factors associated with active aging in Finland Poland and Spain”, International Psychogeriatrics 15: 1-13, (2014)
- J Perales, TD Cosco, BCM Stephan, J Fleming, S Martin, JM Haro, C Brayne, “Health-related quality of life in the Cambridge City over-75s Cohort (CC75C): development of a dementia-specific scale and descriptive analyses”, BMC geriatrics 14 (1), 18, (2014)
- J Perales, “Sobre la medición de la anosognosia en la enfermedad de Alzheimer” [On the measurement of anosognosia in Alzheimer’s Disease]. Revista de Neurología 59, 576, (2014)
- J Perales, O Turró-Garriga, J Gascón-Bayarri, R Reñé-Ramírez and JL Conde-Sala, “The longitudinal association between a discrepancy measure of anosognosia in patients with dementia, caregiver burden and depression”, Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, (2016): 1-11
- Perales J, Checa I, Espejo B. Current active and passive smoking among adults living with same sex partners in Spain. Gaceta Sanitaria. 2017, In Press.
- Checa I, Perales J, Espejo B. Spanish validation of the Flourishing Scale in the general population. Current Psychology. 2017, In Press.